`
Chop Gate War Memorial Chop Gate Urra Moor Cricket Bilsdale Hunt

St Hilda's Church

The first church in Bilsdale was built by William L'Espec in about 1122.  The inscription in the porch which was found during renovations in 1813 translates as "Lord William builds this church in honour of the chaste virgin St Hilda"

The present church was designed by Charles Barry the Younger and Robert Banks.  It was completed in 1851.